Women's Soccer Battles to Draw at Purdue

  • By Tim Goodenow
  • |
  • September 09, 2012 05:04 PM
  • |
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – The West Virginia women’s soccer team battled Purdue to a 2-2 draw Sunday afternoon at Varsity Soccer Complex in West Lafayette, Ind., its final non-conference road match of the season.

With Purdue (4-2-1) clinging to a 2-1 lead down the stretch, Mountaineer forward Kate Schwindel silenced a crowd of 1,344 with a game-tying score at the 87:31 mark. Defender Jess Crowder played a long ball up the middle where Schwindel timed her run perfectly to slip behind the back line and pull goalkeeper Clara Kridler off her line. Schwindel slotted a ball past Kridler inside the right post from 20 yards out for her team-best fourth goal of the season.

West Virginia (2-3-3) carried that momentum into the first overtime, generating four of its 17 shots during the first extra session.

“I’m pleased in the way we battled back after being down a goal,” said coach Nikki Izzo-Brown, whose Mountaineers played in a fourth-consecutive overtime match – a school first. “We just need to start finishing the chances we are creating.”

The Boilermakers took three shots in the final 10 minutes of the match to finish with nine.

Purdue regained the lead in the 62nd minute on a shot into bottom right corner from after solid combination from right-to-left, finished by forward Jordan Pawlik’s sixth goal of the season. Forward Emma Lancaster played a ball into the right flank where Alex Hairston found Pawlik near the penalty kick area for score.

WVU goalkeeper Sara Keane came up with a huge save in the 64th minute to keep it a one-score game. Keane made a diving stop, laying out to her left to deny Pawlik’s penalty kick try. Pawlik took the free kick after defender Mallory Smith was called for a shove in the box.

Trailing 1-0 at the half, West Virginia tied the match in the 53rd minute off the foot of forward Kelsie Maloney, the first of her career. Forward Frances Silva made a run in front of the left back, playing a ball into the middle where Schwindel found a wide open Maloney. Maloney calmly passed the ball inside the left post to make it 1-1.

Maloney neared scored the game-winner in the final overtime, flicking a ball past a Purdue defender and bouncing a shot off a charging Kridler in the 108th minute. Kridler finished with a season-high seven saves.

After a strong start to the match from the Mountaineers, the two teams held back-and-forth possession for the final 20 minutes until a breakdown in the WVU defense just before halftime. Purdue’s Hairston found Hadley Stuart in the box, who created enough room to rip a shot from 14 yards out, sending a diagonal shot in the far corner of the net for a 1-0 lead.

Silva had West Virginia’s first two scoring attempts of the first half, the first on a shot from eight yards in only the sixth minute. Silva took a touch and sent a shot at the near post with Kridler making a diving stop.

Two minutes later, defender Bry McCarthy switched fields, sending a long cross toward the back post where Silva settled the pass and blasted a shot at Kridler for her second save.

Purdue’s offense was held without a shot for the opening 25 minutes until Stuart moved the ball past two WVU defenders into the box. Stuart drove a shot at the right post that was denied out of the air by a diving Keane.

West Virginia returns home to Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium for its final non-conference matches on Sept. 14 and 16 against Towson and High Point.